Wednesday, July 28, 2010

July 22

I went to bed at 2:00 am and was sure I wouldn't sleep at all. The next thing I know it's 4:45 am. Normally, that wouldn't be astounding, but my flight was scheduled for 5:40 am. Amazingly, I showered and made it to the gate at 5:32 am. I was lucky to have made it on the "full" flight before the doors were closed. In my hurry to board I hadn't noticed a troop of scouts from the Burley area that were already seated on the plane. When we arrived in Minneapolis, it was exciting to see 20+ other troops waiting for various flights to Washington DC. I had a great time talking with other leaders about the upcoming Jamboree. I think I slept a little on the flight to DC, because we got there quickly. I was so excited to see the Capitol and Washington Monument from the air. The hot, humid air was a shock to my system coming from cool and dry Idaho. I then took a 1 1/2 hour bus ride from the airport to Fort AP Hill. Lucky for me, it didn't take long to process my paperwork and then I was on my way to be delivered to Subcamp 7 in the Western Region of the subcamp. Unfortunately, most of the staffers for my camp had left for dinner, but I was able to find the "Women's Medical Tent". My Home for the next two weeks.
(Over the next two days my residence was moved 4 times) The showers are not far from my tent, but are the size of a camp trailer shower and usually with cold water. I then walked a mile to my dinner location and found this long line.


I stood in line for 1 hour. The heat index was "BLACK". We were advised to drink at least 1 quart of water per hour. I guarantee that I was sweating more out then a quart. After dinner I met the staff for our medical center. We have 8 MDs, 6 RNs, 6 EMTs, 2 Pharmacists and 7 support staff. All of these people paid to be on staff, provided their own uniforms, transportation and donated their time. There are 9,000 staffers. WOW!
~ Melanie





No comments:

Post a Comment